During a recent overtime lesson that was quite early in the morning:
Student: (looking at a picture of a man feeding a cat) "You're eating your cat...no no...You're cooking your cat...no no...ah! You're...uh??" (He starts laughing nervously)
Me: (trying not to laugh hysterically but failing) "FEEDING."
The funny thing was that the next time I had him, the next few pages of the textbook ALSO had a picture of someone feeding their pet and he got really hung up on those pictures as well. Definitely has a mental block on the word "feeding," but I have to admit, it is a bit odd that he would learn "feeding" before "typing," per se. :)
Yesterday during a lesson with three 11-year old children who are learning about adjectives.
Adjective options: Smart, angry, brave, naughty, afraid.
Under the picture of the firefighter fighting fire, my student wrote "The man is naughty."
Hahahaha. I told him to try again, so he wrote under the picture of the boy who was afraid of a mouse, "The boy is naughty."
Finally, through the process of elimination, he figured out that the picture of the monkey unrolling toilet paper everywhere was the correct figure to attribute "naughty" to.
Again, I find it interesting that the textbook focuses on "naughty" as an adjective! Technically, the correct definition makes sense in those contexts, but unfortunately, "naughty" has such a different connotation these days, so I couldn't help but laugh!!
No comments:
Post a Comment